Make the compote:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, orange juice, zest, sugar, cinnamon stick, and spent vanilla bean.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until the berries begin to pop.
While the compote cooks, make the French toast:
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla bean, and a pinch of salt
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon butter for every two pieces of French toast it will accommodate; swirl butter around to cover surface.
- Dip a slice of bread in the custard; flip and repeat. Add to griddle, and grill until golden (approximately 90 seconds) on one side; flip and repeat.
- Serve with the cranberry compote, mascarpone cheese, and a generous amount of good-quality maple syrup.