This buying guide will let you know how to choose a good washing machine you need for your clothing, towels and bedding. Size, capacity, laundry habits, special programs and safety features are key things to consider but what else? Read our washing machine buying guide to learn important information and helpful tips on buying a washing machine.
1. Washing Machine Size Guide
Physical size and household size are two things to consider when buying a washing machine. Firstly, precisely measure where you want the washing machine to fit, also considering space for opening the door or lid, and power and hose connections.
Some can be wall mounted if your laundry area is limited, or a washer dryer combo purchased. Then consider your household size and washing frequency for the load capacity. Here’s a guide on how to choose washing machine size.
- 4 - 6 kg: On the smaller side
- 7 - 8 kg: Average in size
- 9+ kg: On the larger side
2. Washing Machine Capacity
Is it just the two of you or do you have a family of 15? Electrolux washing machines range from seven to 10 kilograms for dry clothes (a washing machine with eight-kilogram capacity can take up to 40 shirts at a time). With clever features like our direct spray washing technology, which adjusts water and energy consumption according to the size of your load, you can rest assured that there will be no energy or water wastage.
- 1 - 2 people: A 4 - 6.5kg washing machine suits single or small households fitting around 5 outfits or 5 towels per load.
- 3 - 4 people: A 7kg - 8.5kg washing machine suits medium households, fitting around 7 outfits or 7 towels per load.
- 5+ people: A 9kg or bigger washing machine suits large households, fitting 8+ outfits or 8+ towels per load.
3. Laundry Layout & Washing Machine Installation
Stacked front load washing machines are a great space-saving option for smaller laundries or European laundries, aka those concealed behind cabinetry near the kitchen or bathroom.
Meanwhile an under-benchtop side-by-side washer and dryer set-up can give you more bench space, as could a combo unit. Wall mounted units again offer more productive floorspace. Consider your needs when laying out.
Once considering the precise space requirements of your unit, including power supply, and door or lid openings, you’ll also need access to hot and cold water and adequate drainage, either a sink or standpipe for installation.
4. Types Of Washing Machines
Top load washing machine
Top load washing machine is designed with a door on the top of the machine. With this layout, you don’t necessarily need to bend over while doing laundry since you load from above. And especially, you are free to add or remove items in the middle of the cycle.
Front load washing machine
Unlike top load washing machines, front loaders come with a door at the front which opens one side of the drum into which washing is placed.
In most regions of the world, high-end washers are often of this type. Most commercial and industrial clothes washing machines worldwide are of the horizontal-axis design as well.
Choose a good and durable front load washing machine from our best-selling Electrolux front loaders:
- Eco TimeManager allows less energy, more time
- Extra-large opening for easy loading and unloading
- Gentler than traditional hand-washing
- UltraCare pre-mixes detergent & softener perfectly before touching clothes
- SteamCare reduces wrinkles by 30%
- UltraWash cleans at lower temperatures for less energy
- SensiCare protects clothes from over-washing
- Fuzzy logic technology optimizes settings for less energy
- Inverter motor for higher performance & silent working
>>> Read more: Differences between front-load and top-load washing machines
5. Washing Machine Features & Settings
Here are some factors to consider when choosing either a front load or top load washing machine:
Delicates Care You Can Trust
Electrolux’s specialised Gentle Care drum program protects your treasured garments, using a reverse cradle action, for a reduced wrinkle wash.
>>> Read more: 10 clothing care tips to make your clothes last longer
A Comprehensive Clean
Designed to protect every fiber, Electrolux’s UltraMix technology optimally blends water, detergent and softener before entering the drum, conserving the life of your clothes.
Automatically-tailored Washing Programme
The SensiCare system automatically optimises the programme for the actual laundry load to save resources and avoid overwashing. Smart sensors save the time, water and energy used, while ensuring even small loads are washed with precision.
Electrolux EcoInverter technology reduces energy consumption by up to 75% while ensuring long lasting performance and quiet operation.
Hygienic And Gentle Cleaning
Vapour Care Technology adds a gentle spray of vapour to soften fabrics at the end of each cycle. Water vapour combined with a high-performance wash programme helps to remove bacteria from garments gently yet effectively.
Pre-Soaking Clothing For Longer Fresh Smell
The SoftPlus function pre-soaks and distributes clothing items evenly. Rest assured that every fibre is reached and every item feels soft and smells fresh for longer.
6. Cleaning Your Washing Machine
To maintain the performance of your washing machine, run a self-clean function regularly. Otherwise, you can manually clean your washing machine by running a hot cycle with vinegar, scrubbing the drum to remove residue and cleaning the coin trap and drainpipe. To prevent mould and prolong the life of the door or lid seals, leave them open between washes.
Register your appliance today to stay updated on exclusive offers, services and safety notices.
Washing Machine FAQs
Question 1: How do I choose the correct washing machine settings?
Most washing machines have similar features as follows:
- Regular/Normal Cycle: Advisable for whites, sportswear, underwear, socks and T-shirts. Though efficiently removing stains, Normal Cycle may cause coloured clothes to fade due to strong agitation speeds and hot water.
- Delicates: For lightweight and delicate clothes. Make sure to check the labels as some delicate clothes are “dry-clean only”. This feature is advisable for cotton blend sweaters, linen shirts and dri-fit sportswear.
- Heavy Duty: This is recommended for heavily soiled clothing and muddy items. Heavy duty cycles offer longer, warmer washes and high-speed tumbling to make sure all the dirt is flushed out and removed.
Question 2: What’s the difference between front-load vs top load washing machine?
Key difference lies in the door design. While front loaders have a door and laundry is placed inside the drum from the front, top loaders have a lid on top and laundry is added from above.
Front loading washers are becoming more popular since they not only save space but are also more economical because they consume less water, electricity and detergent.
Question 3: Can I add clothes to the front loader washing machine after the cycle has started?
It is now possible to add clothes mid-cycle with ’Pause and Add Clothes’ function which is available on most Electrolux washing machines. After pressing the button, wait for the door to unlock, add your items and press ’Start/Pause’ to recommence the wash cycle.