- 200 g dark chocolate (at least 50%)
- 150 g salted butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (1 dl) light muscovado sugar
- 1/3 cup (3/4 dl) strong coffee
- 2/3 cup (1,5 dl) grated beetroot (about 2 small), loosely packed
- 2/3 cup (1,75 dl) spelt flour
- 1/3 cup (0,75 dl) cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the ganache:
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (1 dl) full-fat cream
- pinch of salt
- flakey sea salt, to decorate
- Set oven to 175’C/347’F. Finely chop the chocolate and place in a bowl. Melt butter and pour over the chocolate. Stir until all is melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, sugar and coffee. Fold in the grated beetroot. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg bowl and gently combine.
- In a third bowl, combine flour, cacao, baking powder and salt. Sift the flour mixture into the egg & chocolate mixture. Stir to combine.
- Grease a 24x30cm oven pan. Place a parchment paper in the bottom. Pour batter into pan. Bake in oven for 16-18 min. The cake should be slightly firm yet sticky. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the ganache chocolate finely and place in a bowl. Heat the cream and pour over the chocolate. Add a pinch of salt and stir until all is melted. Leave in fridge until the cake has cooled, or max 30 min. Then spread the ganache onto the cake, before cutting into squares.
- Decorate with flakey sea salt. Enjoy!!